ENDORSEMENT PROCESS (if you have taken the NCLEX and are licensed in another state)
1. Fingerprints (you need to be printed for MBON)
a. Electronic (in Maryland only)
b. Hard cards (out of Maryland)-Request a fingerprint packet from firstname.lastname@example.org, please include: name and mailing address.
- Have your prints rolled/inked on the cards (please email your
mailing address to this email for us to send them out)
- Mail the fingerprint card and associated fee to CJIS - Central
Repository, P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville, MD 21282-2708, or overnight
the fingerprint card to 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102, Baltimore
- Please include a check or money order made out to "CJIS Central
Repository". Fees are found on CJIS's website http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/bgchecks.shtml
2. Original state of Nurse License Verification
- Review the States participating in NURSYS verification
- If your original state of licensure participates in NURSYS, request your verification from www.nursys.com
- If your state does not participate in NURSYS, contact your state of original licensure as it may have its own verification process. If the state does not have a verification process, you will need to print the Verification Form. Complete Part I and contact the state where you passed the NCLEX for it to complete the appropriate sections.
3. Foreign Educated Nurses Only - Nurses whose basic nursing education was complete in another country. Nurses who have an advanced degree from a US college or university is exempt from this requirement, upon proof of degree, i.e copy of diploma.
ORAL ENGLISH TEST
Take either the TOEFL iBT or the IELTS.
Have scores sent to the Maryland Board of Nursing
A score of 26 is passing on the TOEFL iBT.
The Board accepts the IELTS if administered on October 01, 2005, or later.
A score of 7 on speaking, 6 on all other modules, and 6.5 overall is passing on the IELTS
The Maryland Board of Nursing requires applicants for Temporary Licenses to use a Permanent Mailing Address when completing the application for licensure. This is especially important for licensees who are not going to reside in Maryland for an extended period of time.
***If your program is not on the lists of Approved Out of State RN LPN Nursing Programs please provide the Board with the Name of the Nursing Program, Dean or Director of Nursing, and the email address to MDBON.NETS@maryland.gov. ***
You will need:
- a digital passport style photograph in the PNG or JPG file format
- the 12 digit number from under the barcode on the purple fingerprint card or the tracking number on the LIvescan receipt
- a Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card ($100 for the permanent license and $40 if you need a temp)
- Active license from another US State
An evaluation of foreign education is required to complete an endorsement application (COMAR 10.27.01.09A(4). Transcripts must be evaluated by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS). Please contact CGFNS at www.cgfns.org
to request a Credentials Evaluation Service (CES) Provessional Report.
Attention Applicants for an RN/LPN license
: If you have EVER held a Maryland license and it is currently listed as Inactive
, or Invalid
, you must request a renewal packet from MBON.email@example.com
. If you have an active license in another state but have never
held a Maryland license, you must continue with the endorsement process. ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE.
REQUEST FOR VERIFICATION
Please send any verification form (i.e. CGFNS, for another state/country Board) with a $25.00 check or money order to:
Maryland Board of Nursing
ATTN: Endorsement Department
4140 Patterson Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21215-2254