Application Instructions for Initial Certification Registered Nurse - Forensic Nurse Examiner
- The fee for initial certification is $25.00.
- Certification expires at the same time as the registered nurse license.
B. Criteria for Certification
- Current active licensure to practice as a registered nurse in Maryland.
- Must meet the requirement of 18 months continuous clinical experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Completion of the Board application for initial certification as a RN-FNE.
- Submit the fee of $25.00 check or money order made payable to the Maryland Board of Nursing.
- Attach proof of completion of a Board approved RN-FNE course.
- The requirement for completion of a Board approved RN-FNE course may be waived for a registered nurse who:
(A) has practiced as a RN-FNE for 400 hours in the 24 months preceding the effective date of these regulations, December 13, 1999 and
B) submits evidence of completion of a RN-FNE course of study offered prior to the effective date of these regulations which included both didactic and clinical experiences. Complete item four on this application if you are eligible for waiver.
C) has practiced continually as a SAFE/SANE nurse prior to applying as a RN-FNE by waiver.
C. Information Regarding Renewal
Certification as a Registered Nurse - Forensic Nurse Examiner (RN-FNE) expires at the same time as the registered nurse license. Applicants applying for renewal of the certificate as a RN-FNE in Maryland must:
- Renew the Maryland registered nurse license.
- Pay the $5.00 certificate renewal fee in addition to the registered nurse license renewal fee.
- Have practiced a minimum of 400 hours in the past year as a RN-FNE.
- Acquired eight hours of continuing education units specific to forensic science and forensic nursing during the 12 months preceding the renewal date. If you attended a CE offering, attach a copy of your certificate. If you need a form to verify your compliance please click here.